http://www.artspace.com/magazine/contributors/the_rise_of_zombie_formalism
"One thing I’m hearing these days, loud and clear, is the hum of an art style that I like to call Zombie Formalism. “Formalism” because this art involves a straightforward, reductive, essentialist method of making a painting (yes, I admit it, I’m hung up on painting), and “Zombie” because it brings back to life the discarded aesthetics of Clement Greenberg, the man who championed Jackson Pollock, Morris Louis, and Frank Stella’s “black paintings,” among other things." Walter Robinson
Undead Formalism (2014.4.12):
http://newabstraction.net/2014/04/12/undead-formalism/
"Oddly, Robinson slams Greenberg – as if the dogmas of the 80s still had any validity – yet doesn’t offer a critical perspective on the work of Kassay and Smith, in fact giving it the credit of saying “something basic about what painting is—about its ontology, if you think of abstraction as a philosophical venture.” I don’t want to sound like a British curmudgeon, but these guys are not on that level. But then neither is Robinson I guess, or his criticism would be concrete rather than moral."
The Weird and Surreal, Natural and High Tech (2014.4.25):
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303834304579521771320126980
"There's a style in abstract painting these days called "the new casualism" or, in the felicitous phrase of painter-blogger Walter Robinson, "zombie formalism." Its hallmarks are a loosely or partially stretched monochrome canvas, an exposed stretcher bar or two, and perhaps an oddball embellishment such as a bent nail or quick hit with some spray paint. Current figurative painting enjoys an equivalent, something I would call "casual weirdism" or "slacker surreal." Its main tenet is, in effect, paint whatever you want however you want."
Zombies on the Walls: Why Does So Much New Abstraction Look the Same? (2014.6.17)
http://www.vulture.com/2014/06/why-new-abstract-paintings-look-the-same.html
WHO’S AFRAID OF THE NEW ABSTRACTION? (2014.8.11):
http://sfaq.us/2014/08/print-issue-17-pullout-whos-afraid-of-the-new-abstraction/
Zombie Conceptualism: The Next Art World Trend? (2014.9.6):
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-seed/zombie-conceptualism-the_b_5475631.html
SVA Discussion (2014.12.7):
http://hyperallergic.com/169198/who-has-the-cure-for-zombie-formalism/
"I’ve always been annoyed by Lucien Smith; he simply doesn’t have the chops. Every time I see one of his paintings I am struck by how little seems to be happening inside each picture. This is not to say he hasn’t covered the whole damn surface with whatever material he is using at the time, but that the formal constraints of his work are so strictly governed that they don’t allow much room for the painting itself to happen. It isn’t so much that his paintings have failed the test but rather that they play hooky and never show up to take it."
Have Art Fairs Destroyed Art? Zombie Abstraction and Dumb Painting Ruled in Miami (2014.12.8):
http://news.artnet.com/art-world/have-art-fairs-destroyed-art-zombie-abstraction-and-dumb-painting-ruled-in-miami-191472
"“If no one ever looked at art, would anybody even create it? And how much does art actually need buyers." Extremely reasonable questions put forth by the 2014 BMW Art Guide by Independent Collectors, these queries appeared especially intriguing during the latest iteration of Art Basel in Miami Beach (ABMB). A positively gilded affair that looks increasingly beholden to a global art-as-asset aesthetic, this year's ABMB featured lots of shiny surfaces, stacks of joke paintings, and enough zombie abstraction to inspire several remakes of World War Z. The fair's thronged aisles of mostly uniform wares also sparked a few less politic questions. Among them: Who buys all this shit? / The answer, of course, is a growing connoisseur class that has developed a special predilection for what is, without a doubt, the new art of the 21st century—art fair art."
댓글 없음:
댓글 쓰기