2015년 8월 31일 월요일

quotes from Timotheus Vermeulen, The New “Depthiness” from e-flux

"When I refer to the “new depthiness,” I am thinking of a snorkeler intuiting depth, imagining it—perceiving it without encountering it. If Jameson’s term “new depthlessness” points to the logical and/or empirical repudiation of ideological, historical, hermeneutic, existentialist, psychoanalytic, affective, and semiotic depth, then the phrase “new depthiness” indicates the performative reappraisal of these depths. I use the term “performative” here above all in Judith Butler’s sense of the word. Just as Butler writes that the soul is not what produces our behavior but is, on the contrary, what is produced by our behavior—in other words,not inside the body but on and around it,a surface effect—depth is not excavated but applied, not discovered but delivered.12 Indeed, if the “gendered body has no ontological status apart from the various acts which constitute its reality,” depth, too, exists exclusively in its enactment.13 Depth, at least post-Jameson, will always be a “depthing”—a making, actual or virtual, of depth. In this sense, depthiness combines the epistemological reality of depthlessness with the performative possibility of depth." (source: http://www.e-flux.com/journal/the-new-depthiness/#_ftn9)

잘 나가다가 지지하는 작품에 와선 좀...음...
데이빗 조슬릿의 "note on surface"를 떠올리게 된다. 표면(평면성)을 심리학적 깊이를 가진 무엇으로 어느정도 생각한다는 점에서. 근데 조슬릿보다 많이 구리다. 왜인지 생각해보면 조슬릿은 미술사를 손에 붙들고 있고, 이분은 그렇지 않다. 제임슨이랑 Alessandro Baricco란 소설가, 그리고 대중문화를 레퍼런스 삼아 깊이없음에서 (그래도) 깊이있음을 도출한 후, 바로 컨템포러리 아트를 분석한다. 난 요즘 이런 방식에 흥미를 잘 못느끼는듯...

글쓴이는 Timotheus Vermeulen는:

I am assistant professor in Cultural Theory at the Radboud University Nijmegen, where I also co-direct the Centre for New Aesthetics. I am one of the editors of the academic arts and culture webzine Notes on Metamodernism and contributing editor to Feedback Blog, a new critical theory startup by Open Humanities Press. I have written on contemporary aesthetics, art, film and television for amongst others The Journal of Aesthetics and Culture, Screen, Monu, E-Flux, Frieze, Texte Zur Kunst and various collections and catalogues. I also act as curatorial advisor, most recently for the Notes on Metamodernismshows at the Moscow Biennial and the MAD Museum New York, and theDiscussing Metamodernism exhibition at Galerie Tanja Wagner, Berlin. I currently live in Düsseldorf, Germany. (source: http://timotheusvermeulen.com/about)

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기